Are you a digital nomad looking for a new destination to work and explore? Look no further than Croatia, the newest hotspot for remote workers. With its stunning sea, untouched nature, rich culture, and delicious cuisine, it’s no wonder more and more digital nomads are choosing Croatia as their base.
In January 2021, the Croatian government introduced a new visa specifically designed for digital nomads. This visa allows employees, entrepreneurs, and freelancers to work and stay in the country for up to a year without having to pay local income tax. But what are the requirements and how can you apply? Here’s everything you need to know.
Requirements for a Digital Nomad Visa in Croatia
To apply for a digital nomad visa in Croatia, you must be a citizen of another country and either work for a foreign company or work as a freelancer with foreign clients. You also need to provide the following documents:
- A copy of a valid travel document – it must be at least 3 months longer than the planned stay in Croatia.
- Proof of health insurance – you must have health insurance during your stay in Croatia.
- Proof of purpose – proof that you are in the country for the purpose of performing business activities at a distance (a contract to work or perform work for a foreign employer, proof that you perform work through your own company…)
- Proof of funds – the companies you work with must be outside Croatia, and you must have a minimum monthly income of 2,365.45 euros, or if you intend to stay for a year, the balance of your bank account must be at least 28,385.43 euros.
- Proof of no criminal record – proof that you have not been convicted of criminal offenses from your home country or the country where you resided at least one year before arriving in Croatia.
- Provide a temporary address in the Republic of Croatia – you will need to attach a Lease Agreement or confirmation of reservation of the facility where you are staying during your stay.
Steps to Apply for a Digital Nomad Visa in Croatia
Step 1: Gather the necessary documentation and submit the request online or in person. Step 2: Wait while your request is being processed. Step 3: Register your place of residence within three days of arriving in Croatia. Step 4: Apply for a biometric residence permit at the police station. Step 5: Wait for approximately three weeks for your biometric residence permit to be ready and pick it up.
Benefits of a Digital Nomad Visa in Croatia
Apart from being able to stay in Croatia for up to a year without paying local income tax, having a digital nomad visa in Croatia also allows you to travel to the 26 other countries in the Schengen area, as Croatia joined the Schengen zone in 2023. Plus, with its beautiful scenery, rich culture, and delicious food, Croatia is a wonderful place to call home while you work and explore.
As a digital nomad, you have the freedom to work from anywhere in the world. And if you’re looking for a new destination, Croatia should definitely be on your list. With its stunning scenery, rich culture, and delicious food, it’s no wonder more and more people are choosing Croatia as their base. And with the new digital nomad visa, it’s easier than ever to stay and work in this beautiful country. So, gather your documents and apply for your digital nomad visa today!